Kellie’s Peanut/Lime/Chilli Tofu Salad
- 100g organic firm tofu- cut into strips
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tsp salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp peanut oil
- Small handful (about 1/4 cup) dry-roasted peanuts
- Handful baby spinach, chopped
- About 3/4 cup ready-chopped coleslaw vegetable mix (I buy this from the supermarket, it’s a mix of carrot, cabbage and onions)
- Green capsicum
- 100g chickpeas
- Any extra vegetables you wish to add- I’ve added tomato and avocado, any vegetables are delicious with the dressing :)
1. Prepare dressing/sauce by combining lime, honey, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and sweet chilli sauce in a small bowl. If you like you’re dishes extra hot, you may wish to add a bit of extra crushed chilli.
2. Prepare tofu using the ‘dry-fry’ method. This involved frying the tofu in a non-stick pan (without oil) which removes moisture, allowing the tofu to absorb more of the marinate. Place tofu in a non-stick pan over LOW HEAT, and cook until moisture begins to sizzle out of the tofu (You’re not looking brown/cook the tofu, just heating it to remove moisture). See this article for more information on preparing tofu using the dry-fry and marinate method.
3. Remove tofu from heat and add to marinate. Stir to coat tofu completely. Set side for a minimum of 1-2 hours.
4. Meanwhile, chop and prepare all vegetables. Toss in a large bowl, and top with peanuts. Remove tofu from marinate, reserving left-over sauce to use as a salad dressing. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to coat.
5. Heat oil in a small non-stick pan. Add tofu and cook over low-medium heat until tofu is crispy and golden. Remove from heat. Top salad with tofu pieces and serve.